Tamiya Tank Trailer

Discuss all trailer and dolly related topics here. Trailers includes flats, vans, drops, goosenecks, bruder, and whatever other trailers are out there.

Moderators: In2Trux, semibigrigger, willsbrook, Dakota9576

Tamiya Tank Trailer

Postby blazersport4x4 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:01 pm

I sprained my ankle bad in Sunday so I decided to assemble my tank trailer. Luckily the Motorized support legs came yesterday. Took from about Noon to 6 to complete the build with Aluminum Rims, Oil Shocks, and Motorized Support Legs.

I wanted to share the trick I used to apply the Shell graphics. I found this to be the scariest part of this build.

I ran 1.5'' painters tape along the top walkway, then lined up the striped from the front to the rear along the tape to get them straight. The SHELL writing I ran the painters tape down the rear with the seam and aligned it with that over the stripe. Hope this helps someones else out there.

~Paul
blazersport4x4

Trucks: 3
Trailers: 3
Favorite Truck: Aeromax (was my first)
Current Projects: Knight Hauler

Re: Tamiya Tank Trailer

Postby roadranger on Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:35 pm

Pictures??
Jim Bruneau
Colorado Springs

2008 - My 40th year driving trucks
roadranger

Trucks: 4
Trailers: 9
Favorite Truck: 6x6 Mack Granite
Current Projects: B-Train Tanker Trailers

Postby blazersport4x4 on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:15 pm

Here are pictures of the trailer and the Aeromax with it's custom paint job. The Aeromax has an automotive clear coat on it so it has a high gloss look to it all the time. I sent my knight Hauler and a Globe liner body out this week for some paint. Knight is going to be a cranberry red and the Globe will have a Shell paint job. I used to water transfer decals on the tankers mud flaps also.

Flat bed lighting is powered from the motorized support leg batteries. The LED's are clear lens painted with Tamiya amber paint so they have a reflective look when they are off. There is a toggle switch on an L bracker behind the rear license plate. The blinker and brake lights are lit with the Tamiya trailer light kit

blazersport4x4

Trucks: 3
Trailers: 3
Favorite Truck: Aeromax (was my first)
Current Projects: Knight Hauler

Postby roadranger on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:33 pm

Nice job on the tanker!

That AeroMax looks sweet! :woohoo
Jim Bruneau
Colorado Springs

2008 - My 40th year driving trucks
roadranger

Trailers: 9
Favorite Truck: 6x6 Mack Granite
Current Projects: B-Train Tanker Trailers

Postby TRDSport on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:38 am

Nice work on all of them Paul!

Jerry
***JERRY***
-Founder- -Midwest Model Trucking-
jerry@mwmodeltrucking.com
TRDSport
Site Admin

Trailers: 7
Favorite Truck: Knight Hauler- 3 of them
Current Projects: Finishing 2 of my Knight Haulers, 2 new van trailers awaiting being built into 28' scale pups, and also construction of 2 dollies on deck.
Fleet: Right now my operational fleet consists of one Knight Hauler, and 2 custom scale 48' flatbeds. One trailer is a tandem, the other is a spread. Both are polished, with wood decks and the spread is set up with a wireless lighting system and Alcoa replica super singles. The Knight has the light kit, as well as many extra LED's installed. I also have a slightly modified Tamiya van trailer. I also own a Toyota Tundra, stock except for aluminum wheels and S/S hardware.

Postby 1985 kenworth on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:48 pm

do the l.e.d lights on your flatbed run off a separate battery as i don,t see a tractor hooked to it...i really would like to learn how to add extra l.e.d lights to all of my trucks and trailers but for me its a visual thing i have to see a circuit made in front of me to figure it out...nice job with the lights.they are the right size for the trailer :big
1985 kenworth

Trucks: 12
Trailers: 14
Favorite Truck: my kw w900b kinghauler
Current Projects: cabover moving truck,kenworth w900a,transformers movie truck/trailer,knighthauler towtruck,tandem armoured truck

Postby RCMAN on Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:16 pm

nice job! love the paint job and i have 3 tankers i think its my favorite trailer. i spray a light mist if clear windex on the area and install my stickers and i use a bondo squeege to remove the air bubbles works well for me ....keith
RCMAN

Trucks: 13
Trailers: 8
Favorite Truck: I LOVE TAMIYA
Current Projects: I have to many current projects. For now I would say i need to sand and repaint my volvo and aeromax
Fleet: I have a growing fleet. I have 2 globeliners, 2 king haulers, 2 aeromaxs, 2 1850l box trucks, 1 volvo, 1 scania, 2 knight haulers, 2 pole trailers, 1 van trailer, 1 flat bed trailer, 2 new tankers and 1 old tanker. I also have an F350, Hilux, m26 pershing tank, clod buster, bullhead, 3 m38's old style and 2 new style, 2 rc10's, 1 rc10gt, subaru, pejero, tamiya cc01 land cruiser, and a porsche 959, xr311, mammoth

Postby sassgrunt on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:24 pm

Another nice trick to use on the tank trailer is to put a real non-skid surface on the top. I went to Home Depot and found rolls of self-adhesive non-skid (for the edges of stairs and such). You can buy them in different widths (the 2" width fits perferctly on this trailer) and in different colors, (black, gray, or brown). I bought my roll in black. Remove the four top vents, the rear ladder mount, and the two top screws that hold on the end caps. Put on the non-skid, and poke holes for the top vents and screws to go through, reinstall everything, and you're done. It has a grit something like 100 grit sandpaper, so it looks and feels realistic. -Mike
sassgrunt

Trucks: 10
Trailers: 5
Favorite Truck: Stretched Globeliner
Current Projects: Several in process, but NONE are finished!

Postby TRDSport on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:51 am

Great tip Mike!!
***JERRY***
-Founder- -Midwest Model Trucking-
jerry@mwmodeltrucking.com
TRDSport
Site Admin

Trailers: 7
Favorite Truck: Knight Hauler- 3 of them
Current Projects: Finishing 2 of my Knight Haulers, 2 new van trailers awaiting being built into 28' scale pups, and also construction of 2 dollies on deck.
Fleet: Right now my operational fleet consists of one Knight Hauler, and 2 custom scale 48' flatbeds. One trailer is a tandem, the other is a spread. Both are polished, with wood decks and the spread is set up with a wireless lighting system and Alcoa replica super singles. The Knight has the light kit, as well as many extra LED's installed. I also have a slightly modified Tamiya van trailer. I also own a Toyota Tundra, stock except for aluminum wheels and S/S hardware.

Return to -TRAILERS and DOLLIES-