New European 4axle rear steer low loader

Discuss all trailer and dolly related topics here. Trailers includes flats, vans, drops, goosenecks, bruder, and whatever other trailers are out there.

Moderators: In2Trux, semibigrigger, willsbrook, Dakota9576

New European 4axle rear steer low loader

Postby johnboy on Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:20 am

Hi All
I have been away for a while due to real world stuff, RC shows etc. However now that most of the UK shows are over it is time to get bacxk to building.
Now that I have nearly finished revamping my Volvo I needed a new trailer so decided on a four axle steerable low loader. I wanted to use the double wheels so had to work out a way of making them steer.
I have been experimenting so the following photos show it as very rough and things like the main chassis rails will be replaced as they look a bit like swiss cheese at the moment from adjusting things. :ymblushing: :ymblushing:
Once i am sure it is correct i will make some clean ones. Like wise bolts have no nuts on etc for ease of taking it apart.
Anyway, here are some photos of the rear unit as it will be, there are no steering linkages yet as i want to make it run off one servo and be controllable.
I am waiting on a few more parts to arrive at the moment so i will post more as i get them.

This is where I am up to will post more as build progresses

John

John
John (johnboy) Walker
Visit my website at http://www.johnsmodeltrucks.co.uk for more info on my trucks and builds

johnboy

Trucks: 5
Trailers: 3
Favorite Truck: MAN
Current Projects: King hauler & Nelson 3x3x3 trailer

Re: New European 4axle rear steer low loader

Postby johnboy on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:00 am

Hi All
Got a fair bit done over the bank hoiliday weekend due to the weather (every cloud as they say). Here are some update pics of the process so far.

John
John (johnboy) Walker
Visit my website at http://www.johnsmodeltrucks.co.uk for more info on my trucks and builds

johnboy

Trucks: 5
Trailers: 3
Favorite Truck: MAN
Current Projects: King hauler & Nelson 3x3x3 trailer

Postby TRDSport on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:51 am

John-

GREAT WORK!! I admit when I read your idea and looked at the first couple of pics I was scratching my head, but its absolutely fascinating how you connected all four axles together to steer, and how the steering varies from less to greater on each axle just as it is supposed to!! I am finally back to building, I will be posting some pics soon myself... after I dig out my threads and blow the dust off them!! :scary

:truckin
***JERRY***
-Founder- -Midwest Model Trucking-
jerry@mwmodeltrucking.com
TRDSport
Site Admin

Trucks: 4
Trailers: 7
Favorite Truck: Knight Hauler- 3 of them
Current Projects: Finishing 2 of my Knight Haulers, 2 new van trailers awaiting being built into 28' scale pups, and also construction of 2 dollies on deck.
Fleet: Right now my operational fleet consists of one Knight Hauler, and 2 custom scale 48' flatbeds. One trailer is a tandem, the other is a spread. Both are polished, with wood decks and the spread is set up with a wireless lighting system and Alcoa replica super singles. The Knight has the light kit, as well as many extra LED's installed. I also have a slightly modified Tamiya van trailer. I also own a Toyota Tundra, stock except for aluminum wheels and S/S hardware.

Postby sassgrunt on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:29 pm

John, thank you for posting pictures of your build progress on this trailer. (I know that you posted it a long time ago, but I only found it a couple of days ago; when looking for a steering system for a trailer to transport tanks). I really like your originality and creativity with swapping parts in order to get what you want.

After studying your photos intently, I was able to figure out that you joined the outside rim of the dual wheel to the European front wheel. That was a great idea, because it creates a dual wheel that works with bearings - something that I could never figure out how to do.

And, using the steering axle from the Reefer trailer, (as well as narrowing it), was another great idea. (And another one I couldn't figure out, either).

Anyway, thank you again for sharing it. -Mike
sassgrunt

Trucks: 10
Trailers: 5
Favorite Truck: Stretched Globeliner
Current Projects: Several in process, but NONE are finished!

Return to -TRAILERS and DOLLIES-